Tuesday, May 2, 2017
Capital Punishment
I did a report on the death penalty in 10th grade. I don't exactly remember what my exact point was during the report. But I remember thinking that I thought it was wrong for a state to kill someone while simultaneously punishing people for killing people. I recall the great quote from Gandhi, "an eye for an eye only ends of making the whole world blind."
Locally, a young man will face trial with our prosecutor's office seeking the death penalty. There is no denying the charges against Lambing are heinous and will leave you speechless. How could a person live with themselves knowing what they've done to an innocent child? How can that person expect anyone else to live with them too? Yet, I find it hard to support any case that results in the death penalty. Here are two references I'd like to share. The image below is The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It was developed post WWII by Eleanor Roosevelt in the wake of the Holocaust.
This is a 21 minute podcast from Radiolab telling a story about a man who had his adopted daughter senselessly murdered. Grab a tissue.
Radiolab Story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment